About project «Open Library»
«Open Library» Resource Center Project is launched to provide libraries with legal and methodology support to open access to literary works that are not currently openly available online.
Among other things, the project includes a series of masterclasses and lectures at professional conferences & forums, as well as a number of research initiatives directed at elucidating the state of library content availability & the degree of digitization of respective works.
- To increase the number of openly accessible literary works and illustrations thereof.
- To provide libraries with legal, methodology and technological support for making their collections openly accessible.
- To develop the system of ongoing enrichment of open resources by works from library collections.
- To develop methodology guidelines for libraries on publishing works in open access.
- To conduct information campaign to educate libraries about open access and participating in the project.
- To present the project to expert community for spreading the message and collecting feedback.
- To disseminate information about the project on the Internet and social media.
- To attract the attention of Internet users, including the youth and college students, for them to start publishing in line with open access principles.
- To prepare the road map and the work program for developing open access to knowledge and culture throughout Russia.
- To engage libraries into making knowledge and culture openly accessible.
«Open Library» Project is created and supported by «Wikimedia RU» Non-Profit Partnership for the Advancement of Encyclopedic Knowledge.
«Wikimedia RU» NP is a legally independent non-profit organization, established to support activities conducted within the territory of the Russian Federation related to development of free encyclopedic, educational and other information, reflecting knowledge accumulated by humanity.
The leading project of the kind is a free internet-encyclopedia «Wikipedia», whose Russian language edition is one of the main aspects of «Wikimedia RU» activities.
NP «Wikimedia RU» works in tight cooperation with over two dozen organizatios in other countries, as well as Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization supporting a number of freely-distributable content generating Internet-communities, most famous of which is free encyclopedia «Wikipedia».
«Wikimedia RU» Non-Profit Partnership is conducting its activities within the territory of the Russian Federation to support and promote development of Wiki-projects in all languages. Main efforts are directed towards projects in Russian and other official languages in the Federation — Ossetian, Udmurt, Chuvash, etc.
Wikimedia RU NPP is providing support to the following Wikimedia Foundation projects:
- Wikipedia — the free encyclopedia (its Russian language segment, which is among Top-10 language editions, as well as its editions in the languages of people of Russia);
- Wiktionary — Free dictionary and thesaurus;
- Wikinews — Joint news articles development & publication platform;
- Wikibooks — Free education and training materials development project;
- Wikiquote — Free collection of quotations;
- Wikisource — Freely distributable textual content library (including historic documents and comments thereto, bibliographies, etc.);
- Wikimedia Commons — Multilingual repository of images and other media files under free licence;
- Wikidata — Jointly editable multilingual knowledge base;
- Wikivoyage — Free travel guides and tourism.
More about «Wikimedia RU»…
«Open Library» Resource Center Project is implemented by «Wikimedia RU» NPP using Russian Federation Presidential Grant for Development of Civil Society, provided by Presidential Grants Foundation.