||My systemic participation stage started when I realized Wikipedia's importance for long-term preservation of linguistic and cultural diversity on the planet. Today I confidently state that without active use of Wiki-technologies, in the future it will be difficult to preserve even such giants as Russian and Chinese, as well as respective cultures, not to mention smaller ones.
To feel comfortable living in the knowledge economy, every resident of Tatarstan and Tatar world overall, should be able to actively and productively edit both Russian and English language versions of Wikipedia - by knowing how the community functions, how to communicate one's point, etc. It's much easier, quicker and less painful to start learning the ropes and getting used to the realities and expectations of the Wiki-environment by beginning to contribute into Wikimedia projects in the languages of Russia with fewer active participants than the Russian-language ones (such as via Wikipedia, Wikibooks, Wiktionary etc. in Tatar).
— 2018 Wikimedian of the Year Farkhad Fatkullin (Tatarstan, Russian Federation).
The strongest aspect of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects is in their self-regulating environment, when participation in various activities thereof leads to growing potential of:
- individual citizens (developing their socially valuable skills),
- organizations and other entities (effective communication protocols, collaboration for the benefit of the interested stakeholders),
- region overall (developing all important components of the information ecosystem).
Development of any region or society is only possible through engagement of its inhabitants (basically, politics). Principle politicians on the technological landscape of the 21st century are creative citizens that widen the scope of possible by own inventions or other discoveries.
Every millenial sees any organization's building or its staff to be as important, as the design of its website or timely and satisfactory response to the request sent electronically. In case of interesting portals or social networks, knowing the way they are organized and having an account therein is no less important than finding one's way in some settlement or having a passport (citizenship) of the country of residence.
In the world where the rules of the game can be transformed by anyone, engaging population means ability to change something important for all other humans on the planet right here and now - whether one is in the city, in the forest or a mountain-top. It won't be practical to allow any senior citizen, young specialist or a middle-schooler to change publicly visible text on Tatarstan.ru portal, website of the Russian Federation Government, official pages of international organizations in various social networks or search engine issued results, but citizens clearly need to gain experience of productive participation in the digital world somewhere, as well as learn to feel social belonging to and estimate own objective worth for those around. Wikipedia, which in 2017 was referred to by 1,4 billion unique gadgets on a monthly basis, as well as other projects of international volunteering Wikimedia movement seems to be the best platforms to satisfy these needs.
Smart region is a project about effective integration of Wikimedia opportunities into daily life of the society (schools, clubs, social institutions, colleges, business, governing structures) at the level of a settlement or a province.
By year 2018, artificial intelligence is already capable of analyzing both speech and texts, collecting information across the Internet, summarize it, formulate phrases and conduct reasonable dialogue with humans. Voice assistants in our smartphones are transforming our world, forcing us to rethink the role of the human.
For comfortable living in such a decentralized Society 4.0 one must have the following key skills:
- asking appropriate questions,
- assessing reliability and correctness of information,
- quickly integrating new data into one's picture of the world, and consequently
- transforming one's behavioral stereotypes.
These skills of autonomous decision-making when dealing with data and information develop if purposefully trained. Citizens of all ages want and actually need to gain experience of productive participation in the digital world to have the sense of belonging to society and see one's objective value thereto.
How can citizens be taught cooperation in the digital world? This can be done using the portal based on such a cooperation and collaboration, adapted thereto.
Why did it start with Tatarstan?[править]
Years of Wikipedia practices have shown that it not only shapes effectively cooperating community capable of dealing with a wide spectrum of issues, but that it is also a wonderful tool for preservation, dissemination and development of ethnic languages and cultural knowledge. Tatarstan experience in this regard became globally notable, which was recognized by both Wikimedia Foundation naming Farhad Fatkullin 2018 Wikimedian of the Year, and government of the Republic that acknowledged and started supporting Selet WikiSchool.
- ↑ Interview "2018 Wikimedian of the Year Farkhad Fatkullin on why Wikipedia is so important / http://www.toptr.ru, 13 November 2018
Original Russian:"Системно начал участвовать, когда осознал важность Википедии для долгосрочного сохранения языкового и культурного многообразия планеты. Сегодня уверенно заявляю, что без активного использования Вики, даже русский и китайский языки и соответствующие культуры в будущем будет сохранить сложно, не говоря о более малых"
- ↑ In the process of preparation to and presenting at the 7th Annual Conference of Wikimedians from the Central and Eastern European countries Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2018
- ↑ Quran, surah Al-Baqara, verses 30-34: «And (mention, O Muhammad), when your Lord said to the angels, "Indeed, I will make upon the earth a successive authority." They said, "Will You place upon it one who causes corruption therein and sheds blood, while we declare Your praise and sanctify You?" Allah said, "Indeed, I know that which you do not know." And He taught Adam the names - all of them. Then He showed them to the angels and said, "Inform Me of the names of these, if you are truthful." They said, "Exalted are You; we have no knowledge except what You have taught us. Indeed, it is You who is the Knowing, the Wise." He said, "O Adam, inform them of their names." And when he had informed them of their names, He said, "Did I not tell you that I know the unseen (aspects) of the heavens and the earth? And I know what you reveal and what you have concealed." And (mention) when We said to the angels, "Prostrate before Adam"; so they prostrated, except for Iblees. He refused and was arrogant and became of the disbelievers.»
- ↑ Quran, surah Al-Ahzab, verse 72: «Indeed, we offered the Trust to the heavens and the earth and the mountains, and they declined to bear it and feared it; but man (undertook to) bear it. Indeed, he was unjust and ignorant.»
- ↑ Quran, surah Ṣād, verse 72: «So when I have proportioned him and breathed into him of My (created) soul, then fall down to him in prostration»
- ↑ Hadith / Prophet Muhammad is quoted as saying: "The Almighty created angels and endowed them with reason. He created animals and endowed them with desires. He created human and endowed him with both reason and desires. The one whose reason prevails over desire is higher than Angels. The one whose desire prevails over reason is lower than animals" / Russian: "Всевышний создал ангелов и наделил их разумом. Он создал животных и наделил их страстями. Он создал человека и наделил его как разумом, так и страстями. Тот, у кого разум преобладает над страстями, выше ангелов. Тот, у кого страсти преобладают над разумом, ниже животных"(quote from website of Gasan S. GASANOV "Creation of Humans").